Thursday, December 02, 2004

Smile

This is not going to be any great story.
I am still mending. I find out tomorrow if
I have to go back for another surgery.

But I couldn't say a way forever. Even if
my mind is still running on half cylinders.

I have always loved Christmas. I know what
a wonderful gift it was. But I also loved
Santa. My children found out last year that
Santa was not real.

This came with mixed emotions for me. They
are very much aware that Christ's birth is
the reason we celebrate Christmas.

But I will miss the surprise and excitement
of Christmas morning. We never put a present
under the tree until Christmas morning.

One Christmas eve we would read the story of
Santa, put out cookies and milk, and we even
went out side to put down reindeer dust.
This would help Santa find us.

Then on Christmas morning, I would hear those
little feet hit the floor running. Then stop
dead in there tracks. A great gasp would come
from each of them.

Then they would run to our room screaming he
has been here! Get up, Get up!

There is not much in the world that compares
with the joy and excitement on the face of a
child.

So this year since they already know we are Santa.
I told them I would put presents under the tree as
I get them.

My husband did the good deed of being at Walmart at
6:00am the day after Christmas. I was still down and
could not go. The prize we were after was a trampoline.

So it has been in the back of his explorer with a sheet
over it. I told him he better get it in the house.
Yesterday he had to come home to help me move puppies.
So he brought it in.

I got it wrapped with a few other things. The kids were
so excited to see presents. We were sitting at the supper
table. When my daughter said, You know that big one looks
just like that trampoline in the back of dad's truck.

My son yelled at her, "you were not supposed to say anything".
I had a very hard time keeping my composure. So much for
surprises.

Hope you all have a Blessed and happy Christmas holiday.

4 comments:

Trixie said...

What a sweet post! I love the trampoline story. It reminds me so much of my brother. Bless his heart, he just could NOT keep a secret, ever.

Hey, you get yourself well, OK? I hope you don't have to have another surgery, but if you do, I'll pray that it goes well. It's my great wish for you to feel brand new on Christmas so you can enjoy watching your kids open their presents.

CrystalDiggory said...

lol What a funny story. You need to keep all these stories in a book for them! It would be a great treasure to them later.

Erudite Redneck said...

Once I pestered Mama so much trying to get her to tell me what was in some real, extra-big boxes weith my name on them -- and tnhey were real light, and, dang it, now I can't remember what wqas in 'em -- that she told me one had a pencil taped to the inside of the empty box, one had a blown-up balloon and the other had something else ordinary; I was depressed for days!

jeannie diane said...

press,
One year I remember when my mom was gone
My 2 sisters and I opened every present
under the tree. Then reraped them. My
mom never knew. But it spoiled it for
me. I never peeked again. My sister
(the one that sat on the other side
of the truck) She can't stand a surprise
she would still peek.