Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Ol Blue

Ol blue was a truck. Not any thing that would catch
your eye. Just a blue 4x4 that my friend owned. But
blue was special to me.

I have so many wonderful memories associated with blue.
He took me to the woods, to town, down to the river,
and even to Dallas to get lottery tickets. (if my memory
has not failed)

Blue was always an invitation for a ride with a friend or
maybe friends. I never knew what adventure we would find.
On one occasion blue was hauling home a sectional couch for
me. He was not doing well and the altinator was going out.

My friend and I were just trying to get back home. Part of
the secional baled out of the back on a curve. We opt to
just leave to go back and get later. I think there must have
been 10 cars that tried to wave us down, to tell us that we
had lost the couch. My friend just waved mumbled under his
breath "people need to mind there own business".

Blue most likely had rear end prints (that is the nicest way
I new to put it) of lots of folks. But before he went a way
he still had foot prints, that were mine still on the windshield.

The night they came to be, was a hot Oklahoma evening in June.
My friend and I were sitting in an old favorite place down in
the Paw Paw bottoms. Just talking about everything and nothing.
A army helicopter came to rest on top of the trees. I would
say about 1/4 mile off.

We laughed, thinking they were sitting there listening to us.
I remember we made stupid noises just to entertain them.
I'm sure they must have thought we were crazy.

As we sat there that night, I had put my feet up on the dash,
I am not very tall, I could rest them perfectly just touching
inside of the windshield. That is were the footprints came
from.

Where ever you are blue, thanks for all the memories.

3 comments:

CrystalDiggory said...

Do you know what happened to ol Blue? Reading your post takes me back home (sigh) and I'm actually looking forward to getting back there next fall.

SBB said...

A very good story. And I liked the Mama story a lot. Made me think about and miss my precious mother. Thanks for sharing.

jeannie diane said...

Crystal,
I think ol blue went up for sale. I am not
sure who has him now. I to have so many
memories of home.

Tech,
Thanks, Mom's are so special. Sorry yours
is gone too.