Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Three Chocolate Two licorice

It was a cold rainy day after the election.
I was having to move the roaster and hen into
a pen I built. Trying not to trip over the 3
cats at my feet.

I was so busy, making sure the make shift
chicken house would stay up. At least until
I could get better weather.

I had not noticed that my momma dog had not
come out to greet me. She is a black lab. We
have had her since my son was born 8 yrs ago.

She was always a good natured dog. When my son
was still in his walker in the back yard, she
would sit beside him and not leave until I came
and took him back in.

When I started looking for her today, I found her
behind the old cabin, in a corner by the old chimney.

She already had one Chocolate brown puppy and one
black licorice puppy. I was raised with animals so
I was blessed to see God's miracles early in life.
But they are still just as special each time.

She was just cleaning up the Chocolate. As I sat down
and patted her head. I knew she was not done yet. I
did my best to get her to move into the old block
building. She would not go, and I can not carry her
she is about 75 to 80 lbs.

So I gathered up some old clothes to put down for her
and her new family. (If you missed the story the neighbors
chocolate lab got in our dog pen)

I sent most of the after noon being moral support. I am
so amazed at the basic instinct she has. She did not go
to labor classes, or natural child birth classes. As much
as I wanted to help. I am certain that all my coaching was
not exactly helping her.

The next puppy came out just fine. Sack popped and she cleaned
it right up. But the fourth little one, another chocolate had
an extra thick sack. It was not moving, I watched her as she
bite, pulled, and licked until she freed that puppy. I was getting
a little scared it was not moving. But she kept moving it
around until it started moving and squealing.

That is life pure and simple. We are born with 2 basic instincts
first is to eat, second is to breed. (not a nice way to put it
I guess but it is true) No one had to teach her how to care for
her puppies. God built it in.

6 comments:

Trixie said...

What a sweet, down-to-the-basics of life story. There's nothing like watching puppies being born.

Erudite Redneck said...

Dang, girl. You need to get yer local paper to give you some space once in awhile. You ever write a book, I'll be yer editor. :-)

jeannie diane said...

Oops I went to press alittle early,
4 brown, 5 black..just call me dan
for not checking my facts.

Thanks trixie.

ER, this is me smiling at you. I can
not think of anyone else I would want
to edit me. Or for that matter trust
not to shatter me in the process.
Thanks I will keep that in mind.

CrystalDiggory said...

Your kids must be in heaven now with all those puppies!

jeannie diane said...

Yes, Crystal they are. Keeping them out of
them until they are bigger is going to
be a hard thing.

Powersleeper said...

Oh what fun, puppies. Hope momma and all the babies are fine. I enjoy reading your stuff, post more often.