Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Do you remember

It was bitterly cold, half a foot of snow. It was clear, the snow had
cleaned the air. It looked like the world was black and white, Pure
white. The only pure white God can make.

In this world of black and white. Before so many things made it grey.
There were a group of friends. Before the friends on tv. This group
had 4 boys and 3 girls. We met every day to hang out.

On this day we played tackle football in the snow. We went to the old
country store in town. This is the same store I had gone to since I
was a small child. It had concrete floors, high ceilings with ceiling
fans. I even had a feed room in the back. It was the kind of store you
would see in any small town America. It would take you back to the
1950's. But the year was 1974. (I think)

We warmed ourselves at the old stove. Eating snacks, drying off for the
next venture out in the snow. Some of us had been friends since before
school.

One of the guys, had lived next to me when I was 5 he was 3. I remember
being mad at him because he could pee behind a tree. I had to go in the
house. Which took me away from time playing.

One day we went about a mile from home. Crossed railrood tracks, an old, one lane,woode bridge. I got scared and would not come back across.
But that is another story.

Our little group started back out. Walked about 3 block, crossed a field.
We ended up at a frozen pond. While we were there we decided to play truth
or dare. In the midest of this, the dares started going to kissing. Who
would kiss who.

Now I had never been kissed, to say I was scared, excited, and shaking. As
you could imagine it came to me. One of the guys, that was the only jerk in
the bunch. Said he was sure I had never been kissed. I was so embarrassed.

The sweetest guy, Brad P said he would kiss me. I was sure I would just
faint right there. I can still remember his soft lips on mine. It was the
most tender kiss. I have only met one other guy who could kiss as good as
BP.

This was a warm tinder kiss, the kind what warms you to your soul. I will
always remember that day.

Tell me about your 1st kiss? Do you remember it? Who it was? What did you
think?

7 comments:

Trixie said...

Oh my, what a post! My first kiss... November 1970, Kenny Updike, in his car parked on the side street that ran along my family's house. He was a senior and I was a sophomore. He was in the band.

Much more memorable was the first kiss I had with the preacher's son, Jim, on a warm summer evening. He walked me home from youth group, but as we were turning the corner towards my house we stopped under a full moon and the huge pine tree in the Jensens' yard. He was on the basketball team, 6'4" and handsome as all get-out. Seeing him in the moonlight and smelling the pine, I'll never forget. *sigh* Isn't it amazing that I'll never forget a kiss from 35 years ago?

CrystalDiggory said...

Oh, wow, I so remember that day...have you heard anything lately about that guy that lived next door to you?

My first kiss was more traumatic than memorable. A friend had talked me into going square dancing with her and her beau -- I had no desire to go square dancing, but her beau had a friend and he needed a partner. We had gone a couple of times and then Valentine's Day came up and there was a dance.

We were too young to drive -- I think I was 14 -- so my Mom had offered to pick us up later and drive the guy I was with home. We were in the back seat. When we got to his house, he leaned over and kissed me. My Mom was in the front seat and was cool about it, but I was mortified. My first kiss...in front of my Mom! I gave up square dancing.

My first memorable kiss was in the back of that country store, sitting on feed sacks and finding ways to keep warm.

One of my favorite poems is this one...

The Look

Strephon kissed me in the spring,
Robin in the fall,
But Colin only looked at me
And never kissed at all.

Strephon's kiss was lost in jest,
Robin's lost in play,
But the kiss in Colin's eyes
Haunts me night and day.

-- Sara Teasdale

jeannie diane said...

I have not heard from neighbor boy
in a while. He has a resturant on
the main drag back home. I really
like that poem.

Erudite Redneck said...

First smooch: during a game of spin-the-bottle during a summertime birthday party at the house on the west side of First Baptist Church. And the girl who lived there was the one I smooched! ;-)

Second kiss: same party different girl!

Thus began my rakish ways. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Insider Buying

Anonymous said...

Best rice maker

Anonymous said...

Jeff Gordon Checkbook Cover